Monday, March 30, 2009

Mt. Davidson Wildflowers

Wildflowers have burst out on Mt. Davidson, my familiar hike. The flowers bloom in successive waves. It's the time of year when I need to go several times a week, just to catch the newest wave of blooms.
In this photo (from a previous year's hike) the pink ones are Checkermallow, the yellow are violets--California Golden Violet, or Johnny Jump-Ups, I discovered thanks to this site. I see these every year, as well as the lupine and poppies, which are also blooming now. Douglas iris will bloom shortly. There were two new flowers today, at least new to me. One I quickly discovered was Blue Dicks (Dichelostemma capitatum) thanks to another websearch, and there were patches of some yellow daisy-like flowers. I have no idea what the daisy-like flowers are but they look a little like Mule Ears. I realize that I need to get a more specific field guide to SF--or Northern California coastal--wildflowers. My beloved Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers is not cutting it! I think I am going to have to go up there tomorrow and catch some photos so I can solve this.

No comments: