Saturday, December 29, 2007

Christmas


My sons have taken over decorating the tree, discussing each ornament and its history as they pull it out from the box.
Sometimes I am so busy getting ready for Christmas and getting everyone else presents I forget to check in to make sure my kids are thinking about giving, too. If they are not giving presents, then they're missing out on the best part of Christmas. I know it's a cliche, but I genuinely feel it's more fun to give presents than to get them. When they stopped believing in Santa Claus, I started talking about the spirit of Santa--the spirit of giving--and how that's what I believe in. My husband sniggered a bit, and my kids rolled their eyes, but I think they got it.

My older son gave me a madeleine pan and a great card.

My younger son gave me a Juncus inflexus 'Afro', also known as a Blue Medusa Rush (you can see why it's called this).
They had a lot of fun making silly cards for each other. I think what's meaningful to them about Christmas is being together with our family as we always are at Stinson Beach for a few days, and then having our own Christmas, just the four of us, at home.
This Christmas we braved the traffic and drove back out to Stinson Beach for Christmas dinner. My husband, his brother, and I cooked dinner. The menu was Oysters with Mignonette, Roast Leg of Lamb with Pomegranate Molasses Glaze, Roasted Potatoes and Onions, Mixed Green Salad with Citrus Dressing, and homemade Apple Galette. We drank Roederer Blanc De Noirs sparking wine, a Cabernet Sauvignon and a Ridge Zinfandel.
Postscript:
My cousin and her husband earned the Cleverest Christmas Card Award this year with their stamp. Guess which one is my cousin holding their daughter.

No comments: