Saturday, February 7, 2009

Puddings

This is the divine butterscotch pudding I made this week. I had a craving for butterscotch pudding in the middle of my yoga class (I have no idea why) and had to go home afterward to find a recipe. This one is from epicurious. (If for some reason the link doesn't work, scroll down to find the 2002 recipe from Bon Appetit, not the shortcut newer one in this month's issue of Gourmet.) This is real butterscotch pudding, made with a carmelized sugar syrup, egg yolks, whipping cream, butter--even scotch! It's fantastically rich and butterscotchy and worth the fussing.
I have been on somewhat of a pudding craze the last few months. Maybe it's the uncertainty about the economy, and I'm craving comfort food. I've made baked vanilla custard, rice pudding, angel pudding, a couple of types of chocolate pudding, and then this butterscotch. To be honest, pudding doesn't photograph all that well (or I haven't figured out the trick) so I haven't been photographing them. I guess this one would look a bit more dressy with a dollop of whipped cream. But in terms of taste, any additions are entirely unnecessary.

No comments: